Church of the Light by Tadao Ando

Church of the Light by Tadao Ando

Friday, May 4, 2007

So I suppose I am reaching out with my interpretation of this quote, so I hope I am on somewhat of the right track with my response. I believe that "Bob" is talking about how a poem's sound, the way it is read, and the way in which it is heard is more important then the poem's content or the poem's subject matter? Although I can really only semi agree with this statement, I do believe that Frost has something here. Often a poem can only catch someones attention if it is read with passion, belief in the words. So although the content and subject matter is important (at least to me), it also is the sound of the poem, and the way that it is read...no matter how it is and who it is read by. (Personal opinion though)

1 comment:

Scott Bentley said...

Sydney,

no, I don't think you're reaching at all though I'm not so sure Frost was referring to performance per se. I think instead he was, yes, discussing a certain sound that inheres different language combinations, suggesting that it is the poet's ear rather than the poet's head, or heart, or perhaps somehow troubled experience that makes hir a poet.

Scott